The Means Test is a very important part of the bankruptcy petition. It determines whether you qualify for Chapter 7. It takes into account your income, household size, and regular monthly expenses that you make.
The Means Test looks at all income in the last 6 months. This includes:
- All income received through employment, including income prior to any deductions
- All income generated through owned property and businesses after expense-related deductions have been made
- Income accumulated through interest
- Alimony, child support, and any payments required by court-order
- Unemployment, disability, workers’ compensation, and other federal aid, EXCEPT social security
Our office can do a preliminary calculation of your income and give you an answer fairly quickly on whether you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.